Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: Colin McMillan


Plaque 1914-18 Stephenson Memorial Council School





Original Location

Stephenson Memorial Council School, Now Stephenson Memorial First School, Howdon Lane, Howdon, Wallsend.

Present Location

In hall of new building after demolition of the old

Which war


Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Unveiled 17th September 1920 by Coun. J. Scorer, an old boy.

Memorial Description

Plaque 90.5cm high at centre top x 60cm wide set in an oak frame 13cm wide.. There is a domed top. Around the edge is a border of Celtic knot work cast to stand proud on a black enamelled background. At centre top is the school badge inside a wreath. The names of the four teachers who died are in a row below the heading. The names of the pupils are listed in three columns. The dedication is in elongated Roman lettering and the names in sans serif capitals.

Materials used

Brass mounted on oak


In memory of / the following teachers and old boys / who laid down their lives in the / Great War.
They gave their lives for us, let us try / to be worthy of their sacrifice.


Sculptor, Artist or Designer

Edward H. Thew, Newcastle


1. The school was originally built in Willington but was rebuilt at Howden and the plaque was moved with the school. In 1997 the school was rebuilt near to its old location.

2. The School uses the memorial as a base for studies on the Great War.

3. “On one occasion . . . a pupil studying the names recognised the address in Wallsend of one of the men listed. That night on the way home he knocked at the door and explained to the present occupants that a former soldier, killed in the Great War, had previously lived there”. (Colin McMillan)

4 . “There is reference to N. Briggs. Mike Neville from Tyne Tees Television attended the Stephenson School as a child. His family name was Briggs. There may be some family connection”. (Mrs. Reid)

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: Mrs. J. Read; Colin McMillan

Newcastle Daily Journal 18/09/1920 reports unveiling.

Stephenson School biographical notes on some of the men named on the memorial researched by school pupils.

North Tyneside Local Studies Unveiling Programme.

Illustrated Chronicle 18/09/1920 reports unveiling with photo.

Northern Echo 18/09/1920 reports unveiling.

Shields Daily Gazette 18/09/1920 reports unveiling.

Source of quotation:
“They gave their lives for us . . .” Not ascertained.

Links to Source Material :

Additional Research documents (click to download)

Research acknowledgements

M. Newrick; Mrs. J. Read; Colin McMillan & Stephenson School pupils; Diana Leggitt, North Tyneside Local Studies; Dorothy Hall; Michael Mulhern

Research In Progress

If you are researching this memorial please contact

Plaque 1914-18 Stephenson Memorial Council School (W56.08)

WILLINGTON.  Stephenson Memorial Council School.

   In the memory of
   the following teachers and old boys
   who laid down their lives in 
   the Great War.
   W.G. Graham  T. Moffitt  E.G. Watson  T. Rigg.
   J.A. Barrie     F. Gibson       D. Stewart
   A. Bensley      F. Glenday      E.D. Stimpson
   F.R. Bensley    R. Hall         E. Sudworth
   G. Bevis        R. Hannah       W. Swan
   G. Breslin      W. Hannah       J. Talbot
   N. Briggs       C. Hennessey    T. Taylor
   G. Brown        P. Hennessey    N. Tiesdell
   T. Brown        J.W. Hill       Richard Todd
   J. Chambers     W. Hopper       Robert Todd
   R.G. Chambers   T. Hunter       J. Usher
   W. Cottiss      W. Ness         J. Warmington
   T. Dalziel      Wm. Renwick     E. Watson
   J. Docherty     Chas. Sayers    D. Willis
   J. Fairney      John Sayers     G. Woodman
   G.W. Forster    J. Short        D. Wright
                   R. Smythe

   They gave their lives for us: let us try
   to be worthy of the sacrifice.

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story