Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: Simon Raine

Memorial

SGW 1914-18 Wesleyan Methodist

Reference

B140.08

Place

BISHOP AUCKLAND

Original Location

Wesleyan Methodist Church, now the “Four Clocks Project”.

Present Location

The window has been retained in its original place.

Which war

1914-18

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Unveiled 10th July 1920 by Rev. John Hornabrook

Memorial Description

Stained glass window of 8 lights, comprising 2 rows of three one above the other, and one taller light on either side. Each has a traceried top.

The lower windows are in subdued light, warning of the dangers encountered in terms of a soldier going into battle, and the journey of life. The upper windows are much brighter in keeping with the success of the pilgrim’s journey armed with spiritual gifts.
Most of the panels depict episodes from the Bible in times of stress and the importance to devotion to duty, with the Christian Pilgrim being given spiritual armour by his supporters.
Panel A : Stephen, the first Christian martyr being stoned to death with the approval of Saul who was committed to destroy followers of Christ;
Panel B: Jonathan and David who were great friends prepare to go into battle, left hands clasped in brotherhood;
Panel C: Miriam, sister of Moses, rejoicing with cymbals, thanking God for allowing Moses to lead his people from captivity in Egypt.
Panel D: Moses looking down from the top of Mount Nebo to his soldiers in battle, assuring them of victory as long as his arms were raised. Finally, weak from the effort, Moses needed two bearers to hold his arms aloft, until the battle in the valley below was won.
Panel E: Shows the Christian Pilgrim being given spiritual armour by his supporters in Panels F and G.
At the base of these three panels we have the words “Be thou faithful unto death” “To the Glory of God”;
Panels H, J & K: The upper panels depict the three great virtues of the Christian Life as expressed in Paul’s letter to the Church at Corinth in difficult times FAITH, HOPE and LOVE
Panel J: The Cross of FAITH. The pilgrim receives the Crown of Glory. The scroll reads “Well done, thou good and faithful servant”;
Panel H: The anchor of HOPE. The scroll reads “Happy is he whose hope is in the Lord”;
Panel K: The Heart of LOVE. The scroll reads “To Godliness add brotherly kindness and to brotherly kindness add Charity”. (which is LOVE in action).
The words “Be thou faithful unto death” are carried across Panels E, F and G.
“To the Glory of God (Panel F)”

Inscription

To the glory of God
This window was erected
in 1920 in grateful remembrance
of the men of this
church who served their
country during the Great War
1914-1919
Be thou
faithful
unto
death

Names

None

Cost

£500

Notes

1. In 1993 the two Methodist Churches in Bishop Auckland- the Wesley Church, Newgate Street and Central Methodist Church, Cockerton Hill Road joined together at the Cockerton Hill Road premises as Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. The Newgate Street premises became the Four Clocks Centre.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Modern photograph (Simon Raine, John & Mavis Dixon).

Auckland and County Chronicle 15/7/1920

Northern Echo 12/7/1920 reports unveiling.

Darlington & Stockton Times North 10/7/1920; 17/7/1920

Source of quotation
“Be thou faithful unto death . . .” Revelation 2 v 10.

External web link

Links to Source Material :

Research acknowledgements

Fitzhugh Collection, Middleton in Teesdale; John & Mavis Dixon; Dorothy Hall

Research In Progress

The names on Bishop Auckland memorials are being researched by Bishop Auckland Civic Society. Contact: ddavison135@btinternet.com

SGW 1914-18 Wesleyan Methodist (B140.08)

 
You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to enquiries@newmp.org.uk.

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story