Sources: Photos & 2007 re-dedication: J. Brown; Tony Harding; Lonely Tower;
old postcards: F.A. Fletcher; Tony Harding; John S. Perry Collection
Illustrated Chronicle
20/06/1922 reports visit;
23/06/1922 carries photos of plaster cast of the memorial; 24/06/1922 reports choosing of sites;
29/11/1922 reports costs of clearance of site;
04/01/1923 reports visit of Sir Goscombe John to survey the site
Newcastle Daily Chronicle
10/01/1919 contains a transcript from the War Office to the Lord Mayor of Newcastle of the services performed by the 16th N.F. following its disbandment;
24/01/1919 includes an appeal from the Chamber of Commerce of the names of all from the 16th NF who fell;
10/05/1919 contains notice of the award of the 1914 Star; 07/06/1919 reports closure of temporary club room at the Health Food Café in Northumberland Street;
16/02/1922 reports consideration by Grammar School for the memorial to be sited there;
20/06/1922 reports proposed visit by Sir Goscombe John to inspect sites & includes close up photos of details;
24/06/1922 states that the preference for a site was the pinfold at the Grammar School
Newcastle Weekly Chronicle
18/02/1922 reports on sites for memorial;
24/06/1922 reports Sir Goscombe John’s visit;
02/06/1923 describes proposed design;
07/07/1923 reports unveiling.
Northern Echo
08/04/1920 reports delay in creating the memorial because of the scarcity of bronze;
18/10/1922 reports that Sir George is erecting a memorial;
03/01/1923 reports visit of Sir Goscombe John to site;
30/06/1923 shows picture of memorial in course of erection;
06/07/1923 reports unveiling
Shields Daily News
10/06/1922 reports that Sir William Goscombe John was to visit to choose a suitable site;
07/09/1922 report about Sir George’s intentions to provide a monument, his insistence that they should accept the fact gratefully and provide a suitable site free.
South Shields Gazette
22/06/1923 reports visit by Sir Goscombe John, his approval of the site now that the railings had been removed, and that the Post Office building had to be demolished. He realised that the building might have historic associations, but its removal was essential to complete the beauty and dignity of that important approach to the city.
The Journal
27/02/2007 reports launch of appeal for funds for restoration;
15/05/2007 reports that £14,000 had been raised;
22/09/2007 reports proposed rededication on 25th October by HRH Duke of Edinburgh;
26/10/2007 reports rededication;
10/11/2014 reports upgrading to English Heritage Listing Grade I.
St. George’s Gazette
Vol. XLI (1923) 31st July, page 112, carries mention of the presentation of the memorial.
Tyne and Wear Archives
Visit of King George, 1917. Ref 604/90
Newcastle Council Reports
1921-22 page 974 6th Sept. 1922 reports acceptance of Sir George & Lady Renwick’s gift of a war memorial.
Newcastle Council Reports
5th July 1023, page 15 to 17. A full description of the monument and the King’s visit.
Newcastle Central Library
photo c1970
Catalogue of Sculpture, Monuments and Memorials in Public Places in Newcastle upon Tyne (Newcastle City Council 1985)
At the Going Down of the Sun, British First World War Memorials Derek Boorman, published by the author, 1988, ISBN 0 9513654 01
A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear (Ayris, Jubb, Palmer, Usherwood, Specialist Conservation Team Publication, 1996).
Lost Shipyards of the Tyne Ron French and Ken Smith, 2004, Newcastle City Libraries ISBN 1-85795-122-0) page 72 carries a brief mention of Sir George Renwick’s connection with the Tyne.
Tyne & Wear Archives Specialist Conservation Team
report 2007-8
The Glorious Dead. Figurative Sculpture of British First World War Memorials. Geoff Archer, Frontier Publishing; 2009. ISBN 978 1 872914 38 1
Newcastle Battalion of World War One:16th (Service) Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Ian Johnson; 2014; published by the author 2014.
Best of British magazine
The November 2023 carries an article called “The Ultimate Response” by Roger Harvey.