Notes: 1. Radcliffe was a pit-mining village 2 km south of Amble which was demolished in advance of open cast mining. In 1971 the memorial was moved to its present site in Amble, and the people were rehoused in estates in Amble.
2. The whole garden at Amble in which this is situated was completely cleared of bushes and trees. New rose beds and a complete new layout were built for the year 2000, opened 2001.
3. The Chapel of the Good Shepherd was bombed in 1942 by a landmine. In 1955 new choir stalls were purchased by Radcliffe worshippers and dedicated as a memorial to the destroyed building.
4. The base of the former memorial in the village is still to be seen by the west side of the main road before entering Radcliffe. The memorial itself was removed to Amble and placed beside the Clock Tower. Presumably this site was left simply because the main part of the village removed by the opencast coal workings was on the opposite – east – side of the road. The remains of the former memorial include the bases of the wing walls with wrought iron railings. It is surrounded by bushes. Affixed to one gatepost is a plaque dedicated to Mr. Wade. He lived in Radcliffe, but moved abroad. When he died, he wished his ashes to be scattered at Radcliffe, not realising the village was no longer there. The family decided to scatter his ashes at the base of the former war memorial site. A local lady, a relative of the family, tends the site about four times a year. There are wreaths and cards dedicated to Mr. Wade, who died in 1996.
5. There are plans to restore this memorial in 2013.
6. The back of the postcard from George Nairn reads – The memorial is at the end of Leslie Row in the burn field.