Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: C. Sanders

Memorial

Stained Glass Window 1914-18 St. Mary

Reference

C103.05

Place

COXHOE

Map ref

NZ 320359

Original Location

St. Mary’s Church, Church Street

Which war

1914-18

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Unveiled and dedicated 14th March 1920 by Bishop Moule, Bishop of Durham.

Memorial Description

Stained glass East window of five lights. In the central oculus is the Paschal Lamb surrounded by angels. Both lesser oculi contain St. Cuthbert’s cross. The outer lights have a gold cross surmounted by a wreath, with flowers below.
The central light depicts the Great Sacrifice, showing Christ on the cross with a wounded soldier at his feet, with the dedication below. In the lights on either side are (left) St. George of England and (right) St. Cuthbert of Durham.
Above are three oculi, also described as "rose windows". In the central oculus is the Paschal Lamb surrounded by angels. Both lesser oculi contain St. Cuthbert’s cross. The outer lights have a gold cross surmounted by a wreath, with flowers below.

Inscription

St. Mary Coxhoe.
To the Glory of God
In honour of the men
of Coxhoe who fought
and in memory of
those who fell in
Great War 1914-1919.

Names

None.

How money was raised

Public subscription. One of the oculi was paid for by Mrs. Oliver, Linden Villa, Coxhoe.

Sculptor, Artist or Designer

Mr. W.H. Bartlett of Mutrich

Notes

1. In his address, the Bishop spoke against the rise of spiritualism.

2. The oculi, also described as “rose windows”, were dedicated several months later on 29th August 1920 “in completion of the war memorial”. The service was carried out by Rev. R.E. Tolliday, Vicar of St. Cuthbert’s, Durham. The three windows were filled with stained glass to bring them into harmony with the rest of the window.

3. The Auckland Chronicle reports unveiling by Archdeacon Derry of Sedgefield.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: C. Sanders

Durham Chronicle 17/03/1920 reports unveiling.

Durham County Advertiser 19/03/1920 reports unveiling of window; 03/09/1920 reports unveiling of oculi

Northern Daily Mail 20/04/1920 reports proposal to fill in the oculi with stained glass.

Auckland Chronicle 01/04/1920 reports unveiling by Archdeacon Derry; 22/04/1920 reports proposals for the oculi

External web link

Research acknowledgements

C. Sanders; Dorothy Hall; Fitzhugh Collection, Middleton in Teesdale

Research In Progress

Coxhoe Local History Group have researched the names on their War Memorials Contact via www.coxhoehistory.org

Stained Glass Window 1914-18 St. Mary (C103.05)

 
You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to enquiries@newmp.org.uk.

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story