Notes: 1. The Unveiling Ceremony, according to the Unveiling programme, took place near the Queen Victoria Monument, Front Street.
2. The original War Memorial was dismantled in July 1939, and it was to be given to the Parish Hall, at Manor Road for the attention of the Rev. J.H. Cuthbertson, then the Vicar of Holy Saviour’s church. The Borough Surveyor, D.M. O’Herlihy had sent a Council letter to the Town Clerk, Mr Fred G. Egner, on the 11th July 1939 giving instructions about the safe keeping of the Tynemouth War Memorial to the above recumbent, as previously advised by telephone am 11th July 1939.
3. The Borough Surveyor D.M. O’Herlihy had sent a letter dated 30th June 1930, to the Town Clerk giving authorisation to remove the old Tynemouth War Memorial which was to be kept in good condition for future use in Tynemouth.
4. Mr William Wills, 7 Chirton West View, North Shields, Honorary Secretary, sent a letter on behalf of the Tynemouth Village Tradesmen’s and Ratepayers’ Association, 22nd July 1937, submitting an application for a new War Memorial location in Tynemouth Village. The top of Front Street was suggested.
On 23rd July 1937, the borough surveyor submitted the application to the Mayor’s office, to be submitted to the Town Improvement Committee.
A letter to Mr William Willis from the town clerk, dated 23rd July 1937 reads as follows: “Your letter of the 22nd instant will be submitted to the Town Improvement Committee in due course”. Signed Town Clerk.
On 27th July 1937 Mr William Mills the Town Clerk responded stating “The matter is receiving further consideration and the recommendation of the Committee will be submitted to the council in due course”.