Memorial Details

Photo: Lonely Tower


Cross 1914-18 1939-45 Terrace Green





Map ref

NZ 430496

Original Location

On sea front between North Terrace and the shore

Which war

a. 1914-18
b. 1939-45

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

a. Unveiled 20th August 1922 by Marquis of Londonderry, dedicated by Canon Collins, or Colling, Vicar of Seaham.

Memorial Description

Cross of Celtic wheel type, 9.3m (30 feet) tall, on an octagonal base with three shallow steps. There is a low railing round the bottom of the pedestal to contain wreaths. The whole is set in a square site with two steps, square corner stones, but no railings. On each face of the pedestal is a wreath carved in half relief inside which are the words “The Immortal Dead”. The dates 1914-1918 and 1939-1935 are on the two adjoining faces. The dedication is at the foot of the tapering shaft of the cross.

Materials used

Cornish granite. Four corner stones are of Heworth stone.


memory of
who fell
in the
Great War
and the
World War

1914-1918 1939-1945



Who commissioned

War Memorial Committee.



How money was raised

Marquis of Londonderry gave 100 guineas and paid the outstanding amount of £350.

Present condition

Vandalised May 2005. Lettering is subject to erosion.

Sculptor, Artist or Designer

Designed by T.A. Lawson, surveyor to Seaham UDC. Built by McMillan and Sons, Sunderland.


1. In 1999 the area around the cross was paved, a grassed area with flowers, seats and a small car park provided.

2. The local press reported “ . . . a Celtic cross of Gothic design 70 feet high . . .”

3. There is a metal railing around the base of the pedestal, which was not there originally.

4. In 2008, this memorial was to be cleaned and general maintenance work done as part of District of Easington Council’s plans to enhance the area’s appearance. This was due to an approach by Seaham’s Friends of War Memorials Group. The work includes lighting round the memorial repaired, the inscription renewed and the flagstones repointed.

5. In 1922: “Three boys who played around the memorial and damaged it were each fined 2 shillings plus 6 pence for the damage and had to pay 4 shilling costs”.

6. One of the original suggestions for the memorial was to be the reconstruction of the Londonderry Institute, at an estimated costs of £6,000 which rose to £8,000. An appeal was launched which raised £205, and the idea was dropped.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: C. Sanders; Simon Raine; Tony Harding; Dorothy Hall; Lonely Tower; old postcards: Tony Harding; George Nairn

Northern Daily Mail 24/11/1920 reports proposals in Note 6 above.

Durham County Advertiser 21/07/1922; 29/09/1922

Illustrated Chronicle 21/08/1922 reports unveiling with photos.

Northern Echo06/05/1922 reports proposed design; 19/08/1922 reports proposed unveiling; 21/08/1922 reports unveiling.

Durham Chronicle 25/08/1922 reports unveiling.

Stanley & Consett News 24/08/1922 reports unveiling.

Seaham Weekly News 05/05/1922 reports proposals

Auckland and County Chronicle 19/10/1922 reports vandalism in Note 5 above.

Newcastle Daily Chronicle 06/05/1922 reports approval of scheme;

Source of quotation:
“The immortal dead” Poem "Oh may I join the choir invisible "George Elliot 1867.

External web link

Links to Source Material :

Research acknowledgements

Fitzhugh Collection, Middleton in Teesdale; C. Sanders; Tony Harding; George Nairn; Dorothy Hall

Research In Progress

If you are researching this memorial please contact

Cross 1914-18 1939-45 Terrace Green (S117.03)

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story