Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: Tony Harding


Cross 1914-18 1939-45 Road Junction





Map ref

NU 152303

Original Location

Centre of village at junction of three roads and opposite village church of St. Hilda.

Which war

a. 1914-18
b. 1939-45

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

a. Dedicated 13th November 1920 by Lord Bishop of Newcastle.

Memorial Description

Cross of St.Cuthbert type, 7 feet high, standing on pedestals which raise it to a total of over 16 feet high. The stem of the cross is square, with chamfered corners. At the top of the stem, each side is tapered into a tall point. The cross sits on top. The top pedestal, which is 2 feet square, has a carved patterned string course above it. The top pedestal bears the inscription on each face. Below this is another pedestal, only marginally wider than the one above. The names are inscribed on all four faces. The lettering is incised in elongated Roman capitals. A shallower but wider pedestal is below this, and underneath this is the base pedestal, which bears the names from 1939-1945.
The whole rests on a circular paved area, with eight concrete posts carrying a chain link fence.

Materials used

Doddington Sandstone


a. This cross the / sign of our faith / was raised / in grateful / remembrance / of these men / who gave their / lives in defence of / righteousness / and freedom / in the Great War / 1914-1919.
b. 1939-1945


Present condition


Sculptor, Artist or Designer

Designed by Prof. Hatton, Armstrong College, Newcastle. Made by Edwin Smyth, sculptor, Sunderland. Messrs. Tully & Sons, Belford, prepared the bases and foundations.

Ownership and maintenance

Ownership uncertain, maintained by Adderstone with Lucker Parish Council.


1. The names are placed on the side of the cross which is nearest to their home.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: P. Thirkell; old photographs: Mrs. Thackray; Tony Harding

Alnwick & County Gazette 13/11/1920 reports dedication.

Lucker War Service Record 1914-1919 printed in 1921. See L38.04

Berwick Advertiser 19/11/1920 reports unveiling.

Morpeth County Library Postcard collection

External web link

Research acknowledgements

North Sunderland and Seahouses Local History Society; Berwick upon Tweed Town Council; Janet Brown; P. Thirkell; Capt.(Ret.) P. Marr, R.R.F. ; Mrs. P. Thackray

Research In Progress

If you are researching this memorial please contact

Cross 1914-18 1939-45 Road Junction (L38.01)

LUCKER, at road junction.

First face            Second face       
   This cross the        in grateful       
   sign of our faith     remembrance       
   was raised            of these men      
   Robert Cairns         Robert Reed       
   George Thompson       William Randall   
   James Thompson        John Cassidy      
Third face            Fourth face

   who gave their        and freedom           
   lives in defence of   in the Great War         
   righteousness         1914-1919
   John Fife M.M.        Robert Wilson                                      
   Robert Cummings       William Summers                                             
   John Taylor           Albert P. Redpath                                      
                         Robert E. Younger

                         Nurse Alexandra F. Davidson
                         Alan John A. Dodd
                         Joseph Shields

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story