Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: Tony Harding


Memorial Hall 1914-18 Castle Street





Map ref

NU 247060

Original Location

40 Castle Street. On the street is an arched entrance which has "War Memorial Hall" over the top, and it leads to a building through the back.

Which war


Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Re-opened as War Memorial Hall and Institute on 1st February 1921.

Memorial Description

Memorial Hall of two storeys.

Materials used

Stone with brick extensions.







How money was raised

Public subscription.

Present condition

Excellent. In the hands of an organised Committee and operated as a registered Charitable Trust, and much used by the community.

Ownership and maintenance

War Memorial Hall Committee.


1. The building was originally built in 1866 as a Dissenters' meeting house and school. Became a Reading Room and Lecture Hall, also used as Drill Hall for Percy Volunteer Artillery. Bought by public subscription in 1920 as a war memorial hall, with the hopes of being extended.

2. A free library commenced on 5th February 1921.

3. Mr. Deuchar of Shortridge Hall had offered to pay the bank whatever the percentage over 4% was due on the loan.

4. The adjoining property had been bought for the purpose of extending the premises, and the vendor had refunded 25 towards the cost of the scheme.

5. For the 2014 commemoration, the building was attended to and a new name plate placed over the entrance.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: Tony Harding

War Memorial Hall Committee Deeds relating to the building itself.

Alnwick & County Gazette 20/03/1920 contains proposals for the memorials in the village; 29/01/1921 reports proposed re-opening on 01/02/1921; 12/02/1921 reports opening of free library.

Newcastle Daily Journal 19/03/1920 reports proposal to convert building into a village memorial hall; 09/09/1920 reports fund raising bazaar for the institute, in which there would be a reading room etc. A mortgage of 1,000 had been arranged.

Illustrated Chronicle 09/09/1920 reports bazaar to raise funds for the hall.

Newcastle Daily Chronicle 09/09/1920 reports opening of fund-raising bazaar.

External web link

Links to Source Material :

Research acknowledgements

The late David Wood, former Secretary of War Memorial Hall Committee. Warkworth; J. Brown; Michael Newrick; Tony Harding; June Watson; Dorothy Hall

Research In Progress

See link for memorial name details. Contact is via the Warkworth website

Memorial Hall 1914-18 Castle Street (W16.02)

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story