Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: C.N. Dallison


Pavilion Rugby Club 1914-18 Dene Park





Map ref

NY 945640

Original Location

Dene Park

Which war


Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Purchased 1921, and opened officially by H.I. Welford, President of Northumberland Rugby Union

Memorial Description

Rugby Football Club pavilion. Former Army hut fitted with two baths, dressing accommodation, lavatory etc.

Materials used

Army Hut, 60 feet x 16 feet wide (18.2m x 4.97m).





Who commissioned

Tynedale Rugby Football Club

How money was raised

Tynedale Rugby Football Club fund raising efforts, through Subscription List opened in 1919/ 1920 season.


1. In 1920 an ex-Army hut was erected by voluntary labour in the north-east corner of Dene Park as a memorial to those who died in the Great War. It was equipped as dressing rooms and pavilion. A brass plaque listing the names was erected in the Clubhouse (See Corbridge C52.05).
1926. The field of about 3.75 acres at Dene Park, which had been rented since the beginning of the 1902/3 season, was purchased, following the initiative of Anthony Emerson, a past honorary treasurer of the club. It had been said that the field was purchased as a memorial to those who died in the war but, according to the Souvenir Booklet, it was purchased to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of the Club. In 1927 a strip of ground at the east end was leased to Hexham Town Council for use as allotments. In 1930 a new wide and straight road to Corbridge was made across the ground which divided the clubhouse from the pitches. In 1945 the adjoining field, Broad Close, was purchased as a memorial to those who died in World War II .
In 1974 the ground was sold and the club moved to Tynedale Park at Corbridge. In 1976 the Clubhouse was sold to the National Coal Board.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: C.N. Dallison

Hexham Courant 01/03/1919 lists names for Roll of Honour; 04/09/1920 gives size of hut; 08/09/1995 feature 75 Years Ago reports erection of pavilion.

Newcastle Daily Journal 16/01/1920 reports Rugby Fund raising match.

Illustrated Chronicle 11/10/1920 reports purchase with photo.

Haltwhistle Echo 14/01/1921 reports opening.

75th Birthday Souvenir 1876-1951 pages 1, 9 and 15 (photocopies of relevant pages on file)

Links to Source Material :

Research acknowledgements

C.N. Dallison; J. Brown; James Pasby; Dorothy Hall

Research In Progress

Alan Grint has researched the names on the Hexham memorials in his book The Faith and Fire Within, 2006, Ergo Press ISBN 0955275814 Contact:-Cogito books 01434 602555

Pavilion Rugby Club 1914-18 Dene Park (H51.20)

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story