Notes: 1. With the closure of two other churches in Ashington, the three congregations united into St. George’s which was renamed Trinity Church.
2. The name of George Cleough is correctly copied from the plaque. However, he is confirmed as being the same George Clough as the individual plaque A17.16.
3. During the Great War, serving men from Scottish regiments (Royal Scots Fusiliers; Black Watch) attended services here.
4. “In 1940 it was decided to open the church hall as a forces’ canteen. Many members gave strong support to the canteen, which was a facility much appreciated by servicemen in the district. Church windows were blacked out to enable the evening services to continue. Railings in front of the church were removed for the war effort”
5. Miss Cullen, sister to Rev. Wm. Cullen, B.A., minister at St. George’s from 1935 to 1944, was a Presbyterian missionary interned by the Japanese but returned safely.