Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: The Church of England Waifs
and Strays Society Newcastle
Diocesan Branch Report for 1929


Plaque 1914-18 St. Aidan's Boys Home





Map ref

NZ 362694

Original Location

St. Aidan’s Church of England Home for Boys, Mariners Lane / King Edward Road. (Demolished)

Which war


Dedication, Creation or Publication date

Unveiled 14th November 1926 by the Duke of Northumberland; dedicated by the Bishop of Newcastle.

Memorial Description

Plaque. Approx 2 feet high x 18 inches wide, guessed from a vase of daffodils in the photo. The grain of the wood suggests oak. There is a wide surround into which have been inserted square raised studs at intervals, bearing what could be Tudor roses and oak leaves raised in half relief. The central panel has a narrow border around the names, which are listed in Roman capitals. The bottom half of the central plaque might bear the dedication. The whole rests on a shelf with a vase.

Materials used

Bronze in oak surround.



1. The names appear on the list on the Unveiling Programme of the village war shrine T36.16

2. The ceremony was part of a larger commemoration of the Home’s 21st birthday.

3. “The Home is one of 109 established and conducted indirectly by the Church of England Society for Providing Homes for Waifs and Strays. It has been the aim of the Society to establish two Homes in each Diocese – for boys and girls respectively – and entrust the people of the Diocese with the maintenance and conducting of the establishments. St. Aidan’s Home is one of the Newcastle Diocesan charges, St.Oswald’s Home for Girls, Cullercoats, being the other.”

4. At the dedication one of the smallest boys gave the Duchess a bouquet and received a hug and kiss.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

The Church of England Waifs and Strays Society Newcastle Diocesan Branch Report for 1929 carries a photo with no further details.

Shields Daily News 15/09/1926 reports unveiling.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 15/09/1926 reports unveiling. (Available on The British Newspaper Archive)

South Shields Gazette 15/9/1926 reports unveiling.

Research acknowledgements

Janet Brown; James Pasby; Michael Mulhern

Research In Progress

The members of Tynemouth World War 1 Commemoration Project are researching the names on the Borough of Tynemouth’s Roll of Honour.

Plaque 1914-18 St. Aidan's Boys Home (T36.23)

TYNEMOUTH   St. Aidan’s Home for Boys


This is not complete, and the accuracy is not guaranteed.  
These names have been taken from a very poor photocopy, 
on which the bottom four cannot be read at all.

   Thomas Austin
   Frederick ? Richardson
   Robert Hudson.
The surnames and initials appear in the Tynemouth Roll of Honour T36.11 as:

   Q. Durward (1915)
   T. Austin (1916)
   F. Richardson (1916)
   N. Wrightson (1917)
   R. Hudson (1917)
   E. Alden (1917)
   S. Glazebrook (1917)
Names T36.23

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story