Memorial Details

Photo: James Pasby


Cross 1914-18 1939-45 St. John's Churchyard Neville's Cross





Map ref

NZ 262419

Original Location

St. John’s Churchyard, Crossgate Peth, Neville’s Cross.

Which war

a. 1914-18
b. 1939-45

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

a. Unveiled 2nd October 1921 by Mrs. A.J. Dawson, dedicated by Rev. C.J. Thurlow, Rector of St. Stephen’s, South Shields.

Memorial Description

Cross of Celtic type, rough hewn, 6 feet high with tapering shaft 2 feet 2 inches x 2 feet 10 inches on tapering plinth 1 foot high x 4 feet square. The whole stands on a platform with chamfered top edge. The dedication and names for 1914-18 are on a raised polished tapering plaque 1 foot 10 inches high x 2 feet 6 inches wide on the front. Those for 1939-45 are in a double column on a similar plaque on the back. Lettering is incised and blackened using sans serif capitals.
The whole stands within a kerb with gravel.

Materials used

Grey granite


a. To the / glory / of / God / and in / honour / of / brave men / who fell / in the / Great War / 1914-1919
b. 1939-1945


Who commissioned

War Memorial Committee



How money was raised

Public subscription


1. One of the few memorials unveiled by a woman. Mrs. A.J. Dawson was the wife of the County Director of Education.

2. Rev. Thurlow was a former curate of the parish.

3. One of the original suggestions was the “restoration of Neville’s Cross, erected in commemoration of the battle in which King Bruce of Scotland was captured by the English in 1346, and the provision of a playing ground for children”. A War Memorials Committee was set up to take the matter forward.

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: Simon Raine; C. Sanders; Dorothy Hall; James Pasby

Durham County Advertiser 10/12/1920; 3/12/1920 7/10/1921

Northern Echo 12/5/1919 reports original proposals in Note 3 above; 2/12/1920 reports proposed unveiling.

Northern Mail 3/12/1920 reports briefly on the proposal to erect a cross.

Northern Weekly Chronicle 8/10/1921 reports unveiling.

Newcastle Daily Chronicle 12/5/1919 reports proposed memorial; 3/10/1921 briefly reports unveiling.

External web link

Links to Source Material :

Additional Research documents (click to download)

Research acknowledgements

Fitzhugh Collection, Middleton in Teesdale; C. Sanders; Dorothy Hall

Research In Progress

Douglas McMurtie is researching the names on this memorial. Contact:

Cross 1914-18 1939-45 St. John's Churchyard Neville's Cross (D47.029)

DURHAM    St. John’s Churchyard, Neville’s Cross
On shaft of cross
     To the 
     and in 
     brave men 
     who fell 
     in the 
     Great War 
Front panel
               Charles Y. Adamson
               George W. Appleton
               Joseph Bowman M.M.
               Charles H. Broome
     Richard W. Brown        Edward Carter 
     James R. Coatham        William Culbert 
     James C. Elliott        Robert H. Elliott 
     Wilfred Elliott         Joseph D. Mobbs 
     Joseph Morgan           Fredk. P. Phillips 
     John Rowland            John W. Scarth 
     John H. Shepherd        Robert Todd 
     E. Harold Stephenson
Rear panel
     1939 - 1945
     J. Breeze R.E.          J. Brown R.A. 
     T. Cook R.N.            L. Dinsdale R.E.
     D. Dunn R.N.            R. Eddy D.L.I.
     C.R. Hall R.A.F.        R. Johnson K.O.R.R.
     C.D. Lamb Punjab Regt   R. Luke ---
     R. Longstaff R.N.       A. Metcalfe A.& S.H.
     C.S. Metcalfe R.A.F.    D.J.G. Nicholls R.A.
     D.R. Rawlings R.A.F.    W. Robinson ---
     N.E. Redhead R.A.F.     J.G. Shepherd R.A.F.
     R. Straughan R.A.F.     T.E.G. Thew R.N.
     F.H. Wilson R.A.F.

You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story