Parish Notes
BLYTH

Story of the 'Seahorse' Whisky
On Blyth Quayside is a plaque telling the story of the “Seahorse” from Dundee, based at Blyth, sunk in 1940 with the loss of 40 crew. “There was much sadness in the Astley Arms, where the crew drank. The landlady, Lydia Jackson, refused to believe that all those young men, once so full of fun and laughter, could possibly all be dead. She took the bottle of whisky won by a crew member ‘Tug’ Wilson and placed it high on a shelf above the door to keep it safe until Tug and the boys returned to collect it. The bottle is now in the submariners’ museum at Gosport”.