Parish Notes

This is found in the south west corner of the graveyard and was erected in 1933 or 1934 to the memory of Utrick Alexander Ritson, 1843-1932, and his wife Annie, 1842-1919, who had lived at Calf Hall just a field away from the church.
The construction is of seasoned battleship teakwood from H.M.S. “Powerful”. The initials of the sons and daughters who erected the gate are carved into the posts.
HMS “Powerful” had served in the South African and Great Wars, then had a change of name to H.M.S. “Impregnable” until being sold for scrap in 1929.